Dauphin Street Grocer, circa 1900
Robert O. Harris poses before his grocery shop which, today, is the location of another Mobile staple.
Original photo from the Historic Mobile Preservation Society, William E. Wilson Collection, Minnie Mitchell Archives • Colorization by Dynamichrome Limited
Grocer Robert O. Harris (1860 – 1917), a self-described dealer in “feed, fruit and grain,” poses with the day’s produce in this turn-of-the-century photograph. Following Harris’s death in 1917, the grocery continued to operate at the Dauphin Street address until 1927, according to the city directory. Located at 226 Dauphin St., this storefront might seem vaguely familiar to many Mobilians, as it has been home to Three Georges Candy Shop since 1973.